Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement

The City of Millwood has one Code Compliance Officer (CCO) who answers questions and investigates complaints from citizens on a wide variety of issues including violations of nuisance, zoning, and building regulations.  Based on the nature of the complaint and the results of the investigation, the CCO will work with property owners and tenants to bring properties back into compliance.  Most of the time a warning notice is all that is needed to correct a violation.

Contact Information: Christina Janssen, Code Enforcement Officer

(509) 924-0960


What types of issues can the Code Compliance Officers address?


Nuisances are:

  • Trash/Debris
  • Junk/Abandoned vehicles on private property
  • Vacant and unsecured structures
  • Rodents
  • Accessory structures in required yards

Zoning Code

Zoning code regulations are located in MMC Titles 17: 

  • Fence height and location
  • Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)
  • Encroachment into City Right of Way
  • Obstructions of safe vehicle line-of-sight at uncontrolled intersections
  • Violations of home occupation licensing regulations
  • Unpermitted uses

Building Code

Building code regulations are located mainly in MMC Title 15 and include the International Building Code and the International Residential Code.

  • Construction / demolition without permits
  • Fire hazards and dangerous buildings
  • Unsafe housing conditions
  • Work outside the scope of permit
  • Violating noise standards during construction

How do I report a complaint?

Code Compliance must receive requests to investigate violations in writing.  The City has a required form that is to be completed and signed.  You will have the option of requesting that you remain anonymous.  In the rare instances where resolving a violation involves court action, you may be required to testify in court even though you requested anonymity.  However, short of court actions, City staff will not disclose your identity and any documents regarding the investigation and actions taken will not include your name.

Where can I get a complaint form?

The Citizens Action Request (CAR) Form can be found here. The form may be downloaded from the web site, completed, and then dropped off, faxed or mailed to City Hall.  Staff can also provide the form and accept completed forms at the service counters at City Hall.

What is the City’s process for handling complaints?

Once a signed, written, complaint has been received, the Code Compliance Officer will investigate to see if a code violation exists. Often times, in order to make this determination, the Code Compliance Officer will contact the property owner or tenant by phone, letter, or in person. Once a violation is determined to exist, the Code Compliance Officer will work with the property owner or tenant to resolve the issue. Depending on the gravity of the violation, the Code Compliance Officer may send out a warning notice, or a notice and order.

Who is the Code Compliance Officer?

Christina Janssen is the Code Compliance Officer.  She can be reached by telephone at (509) 924-0960  or by email at

What if someone complains about my property and I receive a Warning or a Notice and Order?

Bringing properties into compliance once a violation is confirmed is the highest priority. The Code Compliance service program is not funded by fines or penalties.  City staff is very willing to work with property owners to achieve compliance.  In cases where compliance can be achieved by allowing additional time to resolve a violation, the CCO is happy to discuss time extensions.  However, the person responsible for the violation must contact the Code Compliance Officer directly to work out arrangements by telephone or email.

Who do I talk to about other issues?

If the Code Compliance Officer cannot help you with your issue, they can refer you to other agencies.  Here is a list of common issues and who to contact about them:

Complaint Referral Guide CONTACT PHONE
Emergencies/Criminal Complaints Spokane County Emergency 911
Vehicles abandoned in the street Crime Check 456-2233
Noise complaints outside of regular business hours (on weekends and after 4:00 PM but before 7:00 AM weekdays) Crime Check 456-2233
Barking dogs and other small domestic animals issues (dogs, cats, etc.) Spokane County Animal Control 477-2532
Landlord/Tenant disputes NW Justice League

NW Fair Housing



Sewer City of Millwood 924-0960
Air Pollution Spokane Regional Clean Air Agency 477-4727
City of Millwood

City of Millwood

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from The City of Millwood.

You have Successfully Subscribed!